During the cold days winter it's nice to get cozy by the fireplace or curl up under a warm blanket.. or in the summer you might find yourself standing in front of the air conditioner vents or a fan for a little relief from the heat. Is this because it's just not possible for your entire home to be comfortable? It may be because you are concerned with the energy use or $$ being spent to keep the home cool/warm OR it may be that certain areas of your home just never seem to be comfortable. If one or more rooms in your home seem to ALWAYS be outside your "comfort zone", Ecojay's SmartZone may be able to help. Directing airflow (heat/cool) to the rooms that you want, can make rooms in your home comfortable when you want them to be.
Installing zone control in your home allows you to add thermostats to several areas (rooms) so temperature can be controlled throughout the house. Most homes have only a single thermostat located in a "central" area. This means the temperature of the whole house is determined at this one spot. With zone control, temperature is measured and controlled in each zone for more comfort everywhere.
There are many reasons that zone control might be desirable (or even necessary).
- Homes with two stories where the upstairs is regularly warmer than downstairs during the winter can benefit from zone control.
- If a house has a fireplace that causes some areas of the home to get too cold when a fire is burning, zone control can help balance the temperature and keep those cold areas warm.
- Bonus rooms or unused bedrooms can be turned off with zone control when not in use.
- Computer rooms or grow areas that need to be a different (more consistent) temperature than the rest of the house.
Zone control can balance temperatures to create a comfortable living space throughout your home or create different temperatures throughout a building for varying needs.
CLICK HERE to find out more about how HVAC Zone Control works and if it will work for you.
Typical wording for HVAC Mechanical drawings to include SmartZone Zone control (2 to 8 zones):
Homeowners who are mindful of the environment (and their pocketbooks) might have already heard the latest buzz about “ZONING” (a.k.a. zoned heating and cooling systems.)
No more need to track down a replacement zone panel... SmartZone is the only one you need.
SmartZone is the simple solution to any zone control system replacement or new install. It has all the features to control any equipment type: Heat Pump, Dual Fuel, Gas, Electric, Single Stage, Multistage... even Fresh Air vent integration. We have customer after customer tell us that once they use SmartZone for the first time, they are hooked. Contractors love the features and homeowners love the simplicity and reliability... not to mention, SmartZone has the best cost and value available.
Here is a short list of just a few of the zone controllers that can be replaced by SmartZone:
- Honeywell TrueZone (HZ221, HZ311, HZ322, HZ432)
- EWC UltraZone
- Jackson Systems
- Carrier ComfortZone
- Many more
Find out more
SmartZone is universal and can replace almost any zone system you come across in the field... Also, the 4X can act as a fresh air controller when needed. With built in temp sensor and flexible controls, SmartZone works almost anywhere.
- Screwless wiring (push-in) – No screwdriver required
- Color coded leds show inputs and outputs on every terminal – no voltmeter required
- EASY pushbutton & dip switch setup makes configuration a snap and confirmation of settings in just a glance – NO manual needed
- Temperature sensor included & supply temp displayed on the bright led display, visible even in the dark – NO flashlight needed
- MODES SHOWN ON DISPLAY tell you what the board is doing at all times in plain english – NO guessing what codes mean
- SmartZone can be used with any equipment – Heat Pump, Gas, Electric, radiant, geothermal, etc. as long as it is controlled by 24v.
- Single-stage & Multi-Stage equipment can be used (3 heat & 2 cooling stages)
- Heat pump equipment can be used with auxiliary & emergency heat – both electric and dual fuel - flawlessly with SmartZone (requires heat pump thermostat connected to Zone 1)
- SmartZone can be paired with any thermostat from the most expensive WiFi stat to the cheapest mechanical thermostat.
- Any 24v damper (Spring or power) can be controlled by SmartZone
- Smartzone has exclusive advanced features:
- - Economy Mode allows setback of all zones with the flip of a switch. When in eco mode, the system will only energize if zone 1 makes a call. This feature is great for vacations or if some of the zones are rarely used.
- - Fresh air control allows control of an outside air damper and the system fan on a schedule to bring in fresh air in a prescribed amount. If fresh air control is required, smartzone-4x has it covered with no additional controls required. Save $
- - Smartlink: expand to 20 zones by simply connecting multiple 4X boards together with the smartlink bus. Easiest & most cost effective system for more than 5 zones!
- Smart staging & limit protection – by using a sophisticated time and temperature algorithm perfected over decades of programming, smartzone stages up and down in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
- 2nd stage lockout – by setting this dip switch, smartzone will only allow 2nd stage if more than one zone is calling
- Stage from zone 1 thermostat – allows for a multi-stage thermostat to be connected to zone 1 and control zoning instead of SmartZone (not recommended in typical circumstances)
Weigh the pros and cons of ductless mini-split zoning over 'standard' central hvac zone controls.
For many years, lots of car manufacturers have been putting separate passenger/driver/rear climate controls in cars. In such a small space, this could be seen a “silly” feature because the passenger & driver are in very close quarters. In most homes, however, heating and air conditioning systems still tend to have only ONE climate zone (one thermostat). Dual or multiple climate zones for a home makes much more since than in a car but is not nearly as often implemented. With SmartZone most existing heating & air conditioning equipment can be upgraded to have multiple climate controls (thermostats) in different areas. You could have a thermostat in the kitchen, bedroom and living room… comfort everywhere. Additionally, with SmartZone, areas that are not being used can be turned OFF to save energy. All the parts you need shipped for free from ZoningSupply.com Zoning experts standing by to answer any questions you have or help with system design.
Zoning Return on Investment – Payback?
There is no short answer to this question with Zone Control. Energy CAN be saved with zoning but it is also capable of increasing the comfort of a home. Because of this, a zoning system can both save and cost energy depending on how the homeowner uses it. User habits of operating the system primarily determine how much energy will be used or saved.