During the cold days winter it's nice to get cozy by the fireplace or curl up under a warm blanket.. or in the summer you might find yourself standing in front of the air conditioner vents or a fan for a little relief from the heat. Is this because it's just not possible for your entire home to be comfortable? It may be because you are concerned with the energy use or $$ being spent to keep the home cool/warm OR it may be that certain areas of your home just never seem to be comfortable. If one or more rooms in your home seem to ALWAYS be outside your "comfort zone", Ecojay's SmartZone may be able to help. Directing airflow (heat/cool) to the rooms that you want, can make rooms in your home comfortable when you want them to be.
The latest form Honeywell ARD dampers is a nice looking product and works nicely with ecojay SmartZone. Wire as shown below. Other damper wiring at www.zoningsupply.com/blog
SmartZone has the simplest setup and best features of any zone control. Find out more about SmartZone and why it's the smart choice: www.zoningsupply.com/buy-smartzone/
- Screwless wiring (push-in) – No screwdriver required
- Color coded leds show inputs and outputs on every terminal – no voltmeter required
- EASY pushbutton & dip switch setup makes configuration a snap and confirmation of settings in just a glance – NO manual needed
- Temperature sensor included & supply temp displayed on the bright led display, visible even in the dark – NO flashlight needed
- MODES SHOWN ON DISPLAY tell you what the board is doing at all times in plain english – NO guessing what codes mean
- SmartZone can be used with any equipment – Heat Pump, Gas, Electric, radiant, geothermal, etc. as long as it is controlled by 24v.
- Single-stage & Multi-Stage equipment can be used (3 heat & 2 cooling stages)
- Heat pump equipment can be used with auxiliary & emergency heat – both electric and dual fuel - flawlessly with SmartZone (requires heat pump thermostat connected to Zone 1)
- SmartZone can be paired with any thermostat from the most expensive WiFi stat to the cheapest mechanical thermostat.
- Any 24v damper (Spring or power) can be controlled by SmartZone
- Smartzone has exclusive advanced features:
- - Economy Mode allows setback of all zones with the flip of a switch. When in eco mode, the system will only energize if zone 1 makes a call. This feature is great for vacations or if some of the zones are rarely used.
- - Fresh air control allows control of an outside air damper and the system fan on a schedule to bring in fresh air in a prescribed amount. If fresh air control is required, smartzone-4x has it covered with no additional controls required. Save $
- - Smartlink: expand to 20 zones by simply connecting multiple 4X boards together with the smartlink bus. Easiest & most cost effective system for more than 5 zones!
- Smart staging & limit protection – by using a sophisticated time and temperature algorithm perfected over decades of programming, smartzone stages up and down in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
- 2nd stage lockout – by setting this dip switch, smartzone will only allow 2nd stage if more than one zone is calling
- Stage from zone 1 thermostat – allows for a multi-stage thermostat to be connected to zone 1 and control zoning instead of SmartZone (not recommended in typical circumstances)
Good video that shows the basic wiring steps for replacing a honeywell truezone with SmartZone. The video features the HZ322 but also applies to the HZ432, HZ311, & HZ221
For many years, lots of car manufacturers have been putting separate passenger/driver/rear climate controls in cars. In such a small space, this could be seen a “silly” feature because the passenger & driver are in very close quarters. In most homes, however, heating and air conditioning systems still tend to have only ONE climate zone (one thermostat). Dual or multiple climate zones for a home makes much more since than in a car but is not nearly as often implemented. With SmartZone most existing heating & air conditioning equipment can be upgraded to have multiple climate controls (thermostats) in different areas. You could have a thermostat in the kitchen, bedroom and living room… comfort everywhere. Additionally, with SmartZone, areas that are not being used can be turned OFF to save energy. All the parts you need shipped for free from ZoningSupply.com Zoning experts standing by to answer any questions you have or help with system design.
We know that sometimes zone controls can be a headache. Complicated controls and low quality dampers can make a zoning job more trouble than it’s worth. Not with SmartZone controls and Ecojay dampers. Simple controls and heavy-duty dampers take the hassle out of zoning.
Elements of Zoning
A Zoning System consists of 4 primary pieces:
Zoning Control Panel
Thermostats are used in just the same way that a typical thermostat is used except with a zoning system there is ONE thermostat located in each area or “zone.” Instead of connecting these thermostats to the equipment like a typical application, with zoning all the thermostats are connected to the Zoning Panel. Suggest purchasing on Amazon.com or from wherever 24VAC thermostats are sold.
2. Zoning Control Panel
The Zoning Panel is the “brains” of the operation. This computer-like electronic board, reads the calls from all the thermostats and makes decisions about what to energize on the equipment (heat, cool or fan) AND which dampers to open or close. Zoning Control Panels come in MANY shapes, sizes, and colors but with SmartZone you are just selecting the number of zones)
Not only are the thermostats connected to the Zoning Panel but so are the dampers. A damper is to airflow in the duct like a faucet is to water in a pipe. In other words, the damper acts like a valve in the duct system to divert air to the zones where it is needed.
Finally, the Equipment is also connected to the Zoning Panel. The equipment refers to the heating and cooling (HVAC) unit. This can come in many shapes, sizes, and configurations. In order to apply zoning to any equipment, the correct zoning Panel mush be chosen. Some Zone Panels are very specific and can only be used with certain types of equipment while some are much more versatile and can be used on almost ANY type of equipment used.
The above four parts make up the pieces of a Zoning System, but since in a standard system you already have two of these parts (THERMOSTAT and EQUIPMENT). The addition of a zoning system really consists of adding only two different parts, a ZONING PANEL and DAMPERS. This makes zoning one of the easiest and affordable ways to gain the much desired improvement of comfort and efficiency. With these parts installed properly a user can enjoy the ability for both added comfort and increased energy savings.